the Chocolate Lover's Diary

A diary concerning all kinds of chocolate. Here I'll comment on chocolate websites and post test protocolls as well as write about other subjects tied to my favourite pastime. I'll test chocolate of all varieties, from the cheap bars at the shop around the corner to the criollo pralines from Fortnum & Mason.

Name:
Location: Uppsala, Uppland, Sweden

Indoor gardener and christian chocolate lover with too many interests at hand. In my non digital life I spend most of my time playing in the SCA.

Saturday, October 16, 2004

How it all started

Recently a new chocolate shop opened in Uppsala. It's called "Anneli K Patisseri" and it sells handmade chocolates and has a big assortment of the finest chocolate bars. The owner has won a pretigious prize for her lagavulin chocolate, but makes up the selection of the day after what she feels for at the moment. You can never be sure to find the chocolate you tasted yesterday if you take a new turn at the shop today. On the other hand you will never be disappointed. My husband and I has taken the habit of buying one pice each every saturday and so far we tasted more normal things like pear and raspberry truffles (or chocolates - most often the truffle serves as filling) to more adventurously flavoured pieces like chili and lagavulin (of course). Somewhere in the middle of this range are lichee and macademia filling.

However, the selection of chocolate bars are more stable, and a couple of weeks ago we decided to taste them all. Since we're not billionaires but have plenty of patience, we buy one (1) chocolate bar every week, take it home, taste and take down notes in a book with chocolate brown covers.

It struck me that our notes could be helpful to more than us, and I decided to start this blog. Here you will primarily read our notes on dark chocolate, perhaps with a few recipies added when I feel like it. We sometimes buy chocolate from other places for comparison (ie Coop wich is something similar to Wallmarts, or from the small video shop down the corner), and in those cases I add a note on origin.

Enjoy, and remember that chocolate is for everyone!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Du måste se filmen Chocolat som Lasse Hallström regiserat. En annan underbar film är Kärlek het som chili.

Ps jag gillar också Hovnarren, den skulle jag vilja ha på video eller DVD.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Malin, I live in California on the coast just below the Oregon border. We just returned from Sweden two days ago. The main reason for our trip is that we bought a Volvo. At the end of our first week, we visited Anneli K's shop. We had already found some of the Cluizel, Amadei, Bonnat, and Valrhona bars that I was looking for. Anneli's shop had some Domoris that I was after and she does indeed make some of the most wonderful pralines/truffles that I've ever tasted. The young woman who helped me said that her current favorite was one with balsamic vinegar. Terrific!

Thanks for the blog. I never would have found Anneli K without it.

Thanks, Hal

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home