the Chocolate Lover's Diary

A diary concerning all kinds of chocolate. Here I'll comment on chocolate websites and post test protocolls as well as write about other subjects tied to my favourite pastime. I'll test chocolate of all varieties, from the cheap bars at the shop around the corner to the criollo pralines from Fortnum & Mason.

Name:
Location: Uppsala, Uppland, Sweden

Indoor gardener and christian chocolate lover with too many interests at hand. In my non digital life I spend most of my time playing in the SCA.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Oxfam's Cacao

In the beginning of this year I hosted a test on different brands of instant cocoa, which included several swedish brands, O'boy (I have a feeling this one's available outside my fair country) and Oxfam's Cacao. Oxfam's Cacao didn't do very well, but I have to say neither of the one's we tested did. I think we overdid it in some way, because when we had spent more than an hour sipping cocoa from glases most of it tasted like ****. (That's why I've never published the test on this blog, by the way.)

Oxfam's Cacao is fair trade labled, and has since become my favourite. A big minus for the packaging; happy people in Ghana sorting cacao beans are portrayed on the parcel. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I want fair trade chocolate, not a political manifesto. But the powder goes a long way; instead of using a tablespoon you can use a teaspoon and still get the strength you want. The taste is plain chocolate with a hint of vanilla, which is just what I want. Do as I do, buy the cocoa, pour the powder into a nice jar and throw away the original packaging. The cocoa is worth it, in many ways.

(Oxfam manufactures both instant cocoa and several varieties of chocolate that are very good, but I haven't found any information about this on their website. If you are interested in fair trade and international aid, you should look it up.)

Sweet indulging!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home